It took two centuries for the builders of Santa Maria del Fiore to see their dream come true. The construction was initiated by Arnolfo di Cambio in The construction was initiated in 1296, and the cathedral was finally opened to the public in 1436.
The dome was a later addition to the architecture in the 15th century. Filippo Brunelleschi is the architect to whom the credit for the dome goes. The interior of the dome is decorated with pictorial representations of the Final Judgement. There are statues of each of the architects outside the structure in a pose where they seem to be admiring their work.
The external part of the cathedral has a mixture of pink, white and green marbles. In stark comparison, the interior is quite plain and decent. But it is quite cool specially in the summer when the difference in temperature can be felt the most. You are sure to find some beautiful mosaic paintings here.
The historical cathedral is absolutely free of cost for all visitors on all days of the week. So, there is usually a long queue of visitors waiting for their turn to enter it. The administration is doing its best to control the number of visitors in a bid to control the noise created by the audio-guides or radios brought in by tourists.
Tourists visiting Tuscany are sure to find a visit to the cathedral unavoidable. It remains the church to be ranked among the largest churches Italy had till modern technology facilitated the construction process.